Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Grad School

Been thinking about going back to school for a while now and after going through my options, it appears that getting an MBA is the best way to go ahead. When people ask me why an MBA, I tell them it's about increasing my market value, exposure and gaining knowledge, in that order. The next question is then which school? That is also quite straight-forward: the best program out there! But the scene is highly competitive and costs prohibitive, especially for the top US and EU schools. Mainly because of the funding issue, I was looking through some of the top business schools in Japan and whether there are good programs, preferably conducted fully or partially in English, which I could have a shot at with hopefully the financial backing of MEXT. Hitotsubashi's MBA program looks extremely attractive after looking through its faculty, who are either DBA/PhD holders of top US business schools in the likes of Harvard and Wharton, or alumni of McKinsey and BCG. The prospect of securing funding and the fact that the course is conducted entirely in English aside, spending 2 full years in Japan will allow me to brush up my Japanese language level, which has fallen to a dismally low level. Reading and listening probably can muster a pass but speaking and writing, especially the latter, well let's just say that whatever that comes out has become terribly mangled. So what are the cons? There are risks and opportunity costs for sure: (1) taking 2 years away from work: where will I stand after I return to work? (2) Can I get really get into management consulting, which is the overall objective, broadly speaking (cos I am not completely sure yet if I'd like to and can do the job)? (3) I'd better make sure that I have no financial commitments that will tie me down back here. But all in, I'd say the pros for me to go ahead and give it a shot are more weighty. Application for 2009 has began but that for MEXT has closed. So I'd probably have to apply next year for 2010.


Check out if the program is eligible for MEXT scholarship - Jp Embassy.
Bone up on the school's program, publications, faculty members' research areas.
Got to do more reading in terms of business knowledge.
Re-take GMAT - that can be next yr.
Make sure I have 2 referees: got to ask for help again.
If I get in in 2010, I'd be 30 when I start the course, which means 32 when I graduate.
Leave a comment

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails