Thursday, December 11, 2008

If you can call this a moral issue

In my line of work, there are times when I'm bound by the need to respect client's privacy and not allowed to disclose the full or even real story to candidates. This is especially so with regards to reasons for rejection, client company info etc. As far as I can stretch the constraints, I give the true story, although very often this requires a bit of creative crafting and paraphrasing to ensure that the interests of the client are not compromised in any foreseeable way. But sometimes, I'm forced to say half-truths, which objectively speaking is unavoidable since my loyalties lie with my clients, who are afterall paying us for our services. Not being able to be completely upfront all the time with my candidates makes me uncomfortable because it goes against my values, although I recognise the need to put the client's interests first. I did not foresee grappling with this issue when I first came into this industry and the irony is that one of the reasons my previous workplace irked me was the secrecy shrouding the work and how it shaped the people there. Like how you never knew the complete picture, the overused excuse of "compartmentalization" or the "tsk-tsk" that came from those brain-washed folks when you were caught saying things you weren't supposed to and how it made me felt like an embarrassed bad kid. Of course, there isn't anyone to do the "tsk-tsk" now but myself at myself, when I know I should be or should not be saying certain things. No matter what, I am equally uncomfortable when confronted with half-/untruths whether I'm the originator or recipient of them.

I have tried to come to terms with this and resolved to be as clear and upfront as possible to my candidates rather than take the easy way out and fob them off with lies or worse, stop all communication (like RMs running away from their clients in the current financial crisis). This is the only way where I can continue in this line of work and make something out of it.
Leave a comment

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails