Friday, January 30, 2009

Snakes n earrings


Or 蛇舌; 蛇にピアス (Hebi ni piasu). Written by 金原瞳 (Kanehara Hitomi), who won the Akutagawa Literary Prize for this work on body piercing, body transformation (splitting up the tongue at the tip, hence the title) and SM. I was intrigued when I read about the controversy (more like furore) that arose after the book won and decided to pick it up. Read the Chinese translation. I was cringing involuntarily throughout the read and it left me very uncomfortable and disturbed. I guess she does in some way deserve the prize for her powerful writing and ability to affect, despite the less conventional themes. Think many people were more worked up over the content than her writing. That's the reaction you'd get for flinging an open can of worms into the face of the Japanese public.
Leave a comment

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails