Friday, July 24, 2009

The Woman in the Dunes

Another disquieting, strangely terrifying Japanese novel: Abe Kobo's 砂の女 (Suna no Onna). Don't know why but Japanese contemporary novels always have this amazing ability to freak the hell out of me. The story is simple enough: a man journeys to a remote seaside village to search for insects for his collection. He is taken prisoner in a pit home of a widow by the desperate villagers who needs him to help keep digging to stop themselves from being buried by the encroaching sand dunes. The story chronicles his frustration and his futile, frenzied efforts to escape. Gradually he succumbs and loses his will to fight against the villagers. When the chance comes for him to escape, he chooses to stay on. After 7 years, the courts declares him legally dead. Abe's writing is so vivid that I constantly have this gritty taste in my mouth as I read on. Yucks. The thought of losing my freedom terrifies me to no end, which is probably why the read created so much turbulence inside me.

Leave a comment

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails