Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Encouragement



Here are two of the most uplifting books I have come across so far. Self-Help books are mostly over-rated and highly repetitive but these are worth a read, especially 4-Hour work week which for some reason resonates strongly with me. I have put some of Tim Ferriss' advice into action and I feel a change immediately from my own feelings towards my actions to other people's reactions towards my behaviour. An action could be as simple as really telling my boss firmly and authoritatively a big NO just because I feel it ought to be a NO. Or refusing to pick up the phone because it intrudes into whatever I'm doing and breaks my concentration. If it's that important, the person will call again anyway. There is nothing more precious than my own time, than me. This alone is a huge shift from my thinking before this, especially in my line of work where networking is crucial to survival and conventional thinking is that you jump at whoever is open to get connected with you. Even my boss felt the change in me too (he has to, with my big NO ringing in his ears). Not in a rude way but really as firmly as one can get without being offensive. I don't remember the last time I experienced such a tangible change in myself after putting down a book.
Leave a comment

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails