Sunday, March 14, 2010

Lomo Resources from Japan

I depend heavily on Amazon Japan as a source of lomo-related materials. The following are some of the resources I have accumulated to help me learn more about using my Holga, Chelsea and Seagull, as well as find out what else is out there.



Both Kimagure 1 and 2 (2 came out as a result of overwhelming popularity of 1) are compilations of toy cameras and vintage cameras, most of which are no longer in production, including the vintage folding camera which I would really like to get my hands on. There is a new version produced by FujiFilm but it looks really weird with the lens folding out from sideways, instead of folding downwards like the usual.


A very good book with tips on toy cameras and film, both 120 and 35mm. One of my favourites.



I got this because of the toy camera feature. Camera Nichiwa is a monthly magazine on cameras in general, and a lot more fun than the serious DSLR/Professional magazines that Japan seems to churn out by the dozens (i think photography is the number one hobby among Japanese retired old men). I never read those since I do not own or know how to use a DSLR. And the photos in these pro mags don't do anything to me, cos digital shots always look very flat and somehow lack character.



SNAP! is a quarterly magazine dedicated to toy cameras. As far as I know, this is the only magazine solely dedicated to toy cameras in Japan. The publisher INFOREST MOOK also does books on toy cameras, like Camera Plus etc. It also produces special supplements, known as 別冊 (bessatsu) in between the SNAP! volumes. Every issue focuses on different topics, like Holga, Diana, LOMO LC-A, or on film and shooting techniques.


This book has good tips on DIY-ing one's camera. I learnt how to make a filter using nail varnish, transparency and some color pens. Using it as a lens filter, the effects are soft and dreamy. I am shooting some using this now and will put up the shots later.



I like this book for the lovely shots contributed by lomo lovers. Some of them make me go wow, and like "how the hell was that done?" The camera and film type used are indicated alongside each photo, so it helps to give a sense of how certain film type would turn out.


This is a guide to common toy cameras and there are specific instructions on how to use them, like loading film etc. Very basic though a good one-stop introduction to the world of toy cameras.
Leave a comment

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails