Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Organizational Consulting

Some guy once said "Consultants are those fellas who use powerpoint presentations to state the bleeding obvious." Funny and true, to some extent. Alan Weiss states the "bleeding obvious" in this book but that can be really helpful. I was prompted to pick Weiss' book because of the difficulties and resistance my consultants and I encountered in our effort to put in place changes to raise the current level of quality of our client deliverables here. Sort of like an internal change agent role, but a lot less fancy in reality and instead a lot of hard work. It's hard to shape attitudes and influence behaviours, and I was looking for some help along the way. Weiss has a lot of common sense and he has the ability to frame issues and express ideas in a practical and usable fashion, which if implemented properly, could be really effective. This is one of those books that is not just a one-off read, but rather a guide that I would go back to again and again to thumb through, jot down thoughts and probably spin off a couple of ideas of my own.
Leave a comment

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails