Monday, September 1, 2008

Crucial Conversations

I am now increasingly wary of picking up books like this, which tend to be very prescriptive and all say similar things in different ways. But I thought this might be a useful skim, after Nat suggested this. There are a few useful pointers, or rather reminders, which are noteworthy.

Focus on what I really want, and also what I really don't want - easy enough to know but very difficult to follow in reality, once emotions get stirred badly.

Start with the Heart - I have got to stop thinking those evil thoughts whenever something or more frequently someone crosses my path. But sometimes, I let my thoughts run loose in a rampage, and always end up feeling less well after that.

Try to find mutual purpose and foster mutual respect - obviously makes the other party more receptive to whatever shit I am going to fling across.

Stick to the facts and avoid judgement - this is in my own words, summarised effectively several chapters that I have hopped through.

Listen carefully for the real purpose and express interest for others' views - the trick here is to keep the other party talking without him putting up barb wires to defend himself.
Leave a comment

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails