Friday, April 3, 2009

My struggle to make sense of things


People who do not receive affirmation from others will not give affirmation. True? It’s kind of like “pay it forward” but in a negative sense. But I guess if you do not have something for a while, your mind makes adjustments and you learn to live without it. And if you can live without it, then it will no longer feature in your mind/life. That’s what we call being “desensitized”.

So you want affirmation? Give it to others first.
So you want to feel appreciated? Appreciate others first.

It’s so easy to slip into a negative mode, switch off, do something nasty or “act tough” towards people who display the same behavior. But maybe I can choose to resist the temptation to switch to such defensive modes. I can choose to be nice, choose to care about others around me even though they may not feel the same towards me. But I am inclined to believe that we are humans after all and that makes us feeling, emotional beings. We all need to feel appreciated, cared for and loved by people around us.

So if I adopt this strategy and keep at it, maybe I would get a different reaction/treatment soon enough.
Leave a comment

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails