Thursday, May 6, 2010

For those who hire people


Oh goodness, it has been almost a month since I last posted. I'm not giving this up, just that it has been a rather eventful month. I was away for almost 2 weeks in Amsterdam for work and some sightseeing. I think I walked too much (including a 40min trek to the tulip fields) and returned completely exhausted. Photos will be up soon, hopefully Canonet won't be letting me down. Thank you to Daniel who lent me not only his Canonet but also the legendary workhorse Mamiya RB67; unfortunately it was too heavy to lug around on travels. I am looking forward to using it now that I am back.
So I went to the library to collect a reserved book soon after I arrived back home. Strategic Interviewing comes highly recommended by my firm, which has adapted its approach to our daily use. I personally think it is an effective and objective approach to assess people for the role in question, and it is close enough to making interviews more of a science than an art (or gut feel). Fundamentally, it's being clear about what you want and checking off whether job competencies are met. It is important to set goals for the interview, define job competencies clearly, and find out whether these competencies are met and how they are met. Like most good things in life, consistency is what makes the difference here. The process should be applied equally and rigorously to all interviewees so that an objective assessment and comparison can be made to identify the most suitable candidate.
Leave a comment

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails