Monday, April 28, 2008

In a nutshell




Quite a useful handbook not just for managers but for anyone interested in getting good performance out of people. Talent is only talented when cast in the right role. It's not just about what one has in terms of innate abilities, skills or knowledge, but that these qualities are well-matched to the role in question.

3 kinds of talents: striving (motivations), thinking (how does he work as a person), relating (emotional aspects). Pare down to the essentials when evaluating a candidate; maybe 1 of each talent must-have.

Look beyond skills, experience and knowledge. How would the person fit into the organisation culture and values? Think about the type of management style and expectations and whether this person will fit. Look at the team members and assess whether there will be synergy.

Meeting Customers’ expectations
Level 1: Accuracy. Deliver what is expected.
Level 2: Availability. At your convenience please.
Level 3: Partnership. Empathy. From your perspective.
Level 4: Advice. Help them to learn and be better.

The critical SIX
1. Do I know what is expected of me?
2. Do I have the materials and equipment to do my work right?
3. Do I have the opportunity to do what I do best everyday?
4. Have I received recognition or praise in the last seven days?
5. Does my supervisor or anyone seem to care about me as a person?
6. Is there someone who encourages my development?

Managing around weaknesses

a) Devise a support system

b) Find a complementary partner

c) Recast the person

Leave a comment

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails